11 April 2022
Summary: Accelerator Keys is growing well enough that I’m bringing on an external developer to work on long-standing usability upgrades.
Apologies for the long period between releases. My family just welcomed our second child 🎉 Thank you to those who sent in your well wishes.
I wanted to provide an update on two issues that several of you have flagged.
- Accelerator Keys stops working sometimes and requires a restart of Excel and/or Accelerator Keys for functionality to resume.
- The Accelerator Keys overlay does not appear when there is an active Zoom/Teams/Webex call.
What I am doing
I’ve just hired an experienced macOS developer to look into these issues full-time. My goal is for these issues to be resolved by end May.
If you’re a prospective user of the app, please be aware of these issues. They aren’t show-stoppers for most — issue #1 affects less than 1% of all sessions of Accelerator Keys, while #2 is annoying but most of our time is still spent outside of video calls. Our user base is still growing 20-30% a month, with very low churn. The 14 day free trial should give you ample time to put the app through its paces before purchase.
For my current users, I’m grateful for your patience. I’m sorry I haven’t been able to fix these yet - but I’m committed to investing the developer resources to give solving these a real shot. Accelerator Keys is a pretty unique application, and the developer will take some time to get familiar with the code base.
Thanks again everyone, keep the feature requests coming, and I will post updates here as and when they come in.
13 January 2022
Summary: Accelerator Keys now supports Powerpoint.
By popular demand, you can now use Accelerator Keys to use alt key shortcuts on Mac Powerpoint. I’ve only added my most commonly used shortcuts on the Home Tab for now. But as always, if you’re a paying user, please feel free to write in with shortcuts you commonly use, and I’ll add them where possible to the next update.
In addition, I also fixed a bug that was causing Accelerator Keys to crash intermittently, and added additional shortcuts in the Page Layout and Data tabs of Excel.
Happy new year everyone!
24 November 2021
Summary: Fixed the onboarding flow to allow non-English users to use Accelerator Keys as long as Excel’s language is in English.
The previous update prevented Accelerator Keys from being launched if the system language wasn’t in English. A few users mentioned that you set Excel to English while leaving the system language in another language. This update now allows Accelerator Keys to start as long as accessibility permissions have been granted.
22 November 2021
Summary: Significant usability improvements, including a setup wizard, starting Accelerator Keys at login, and auto-resizing Excel so that all buttons are selectable via alt keys.
- Created a setup wizard to check that accessibility permissions are enabled, and Excel is in English.
- Accelerator Keys now auto-resizes Excel to at least the width needed for all ribbon buttons to be visible. This prevents crashes from missing buttons.
- Accelerator Keys also now starts on login as the app needs to be opened before Excel to work.
- Added missing/broken shortcuts: Paste Values (Alt H V V), New Window (Alt W N), Arrange All (Alt W A), View Gridlines (Alt P V G), View Headings (Alt P V H), Print Gridlines (Alt P P G), Print Headings (Alt P P H).
6 November 2021
Summary: Updated Accelerator Keys to work with macOS Monterey and added a few requested features.
- Added shortcuts for Freeze and Unfreeze panes
- You can now use the option/alt key on the right hand side of the keyboard to activate Accelerator Keys as well.
- Fixed Merge and Centre shortcuts (there were errors due to British/American spelling)
- Created a new help site @ https://acceleratorkeys.com/help
11 September 2021
Summary: Added missing shortcuts requested from paying users.
Added shortcuts for:
- Remove Duplicates: Alt + A + M.
- Group: Alt + A + G + G.
- Auto outline: Alt + A + G + A.
- Ungroup: Alt + A + U + U.
- Clear outline: Alt + A + U + C.
- Subtotal: Alt + A + B.
- Fixed missing Data Tab shortcuts.
19 July 2021
Summary: Accelerator Keys now allows you control buttons on the Quick Access Toolbar in Mac Excel using alt key shortcuts. Ribbon shortcuts for Mac Excel also now work on multi-monitor setups.
- Users can configure up to 10 buttons on the Quick Access Toolbar.
- Accelerator Keys will display ribbon/alt key shortcuts on the active Excel window, regardless of which monitor or screen it is on.
- Other bug fixes: Internationalised selectors for several ribbon buttons.
9 May 2021
Summary: Fixed bugs that were causing Accelerator Keys to crash on certain key sequences in Excel 2019 and 2016.
- Excel 2019 and 2016 have a different ribbon layout on the Insert Tab compared to Excel 365. Accelerator Keys can now detect the relevant layout and adapt accordingly, instead of crashing on the Insert Tab previously.
- Made Pivot Tables, Recommended Pivot Tables, Recommended Charts available on Excel 2019 and 2016.
- Enabled crash logging to help with debugging.
27 March 2021
Summary: Updates Accelerator Keys to match recent changes to Mac Excel and adds new ribbon shortcuts requested by users.
Microsoft introduced a new section in the View Tab. Buttons that used to be visible (e.g. show gridlines) are now not unless Excel is stretched to fill the screen. Please make your Mac Excel window as wide as possible to use all available alt-shortcuts—Accelerator Keys can only target visible buttons.
- Insert Tab - Updated alt key shortcuts for Charts, Sparklines, Equations and Symbols.
- Page Layout Tab - Added alt key shortcut for Show Gridlines.
- View Tab - Added alt key shortcuts for Clear, Reapply and Advanced Filters. Fixed shortcuts for Zoom, Window sections.